Thursday, July 9, 2009

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid,

QUOTE OF THE DAY.... Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D) of Nevada.

Reid says he expects the tactic of gentle persuasion to work best, given the size of his Senate Democratic flock and the political divergences within it. "I don't dictate how people vote," he said in an interview this month. "If it's an important vote, I try to tell them how important it is to the Senate, the country, the president ... But I'm not very good at twisting arms. I try to be more verbal and non-threatening. So there are going to be -- I'm sure -- a number of opportunities for people who have different opinions not to vote the way that I think they should. But that's the way it is. I hold no grudges."

I don't doubt Reid is widely liked and admired within the caucus. But "gentle persuasion" is rarely a recipe for party discipline.

There have been plenty of Senate Majority Leaders in history who members feared and wouldn't dare cross. Reid isn't one of them.

—Steve Benen 2:25 PM Permalink |
**
Snatching defeat from the kid gloves of victory.

-Harry Reid (Senate Majority Leader)

Posted by: Gallop Trollop
**
After this admission, that he can't or won't do the job, shouldn't the words 'I therefore resign' be forthcoming? These are very serious times, with challenges and opportunities such as the Democrats have not seen in many decades and he offers a genteel style over real substance.

Posted by: Michael7843853 on July 3, 2009
**
Well, I guess I should be glad Reid at least has a realistic assessment of his skills and style - imagine how embarrassing it would be if he thought he was being a hard-ass, kickin' butt and takin' names?

Now if only I could understand why he thinks cajoling folks to do the right thing is sufficient for Senate Majority Leader.

Posted by: biggerbox on July 3,
**

Link:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_07/018920

We need a Strong and Tough Majority Leader Now !
And,that's Not you..

Please Resign so we can get someone in there to do the job correctly !

Thank you,M..A Democrat..

No comments:

Post a Comment